To really understand the Internet of Things (IoT) requires application, implementation, and execution in the real world. IEEE IoT recently launched a program to provide the IoT community an interactive platform on which to engage with use cases, service descriptions, business models, and reference implementations that will be key to developing a vibrant IoT industry. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to contribute to the IoT cause, as well as get excellent exposure for your projects and ideas.
- Crowd sourcing, environment, public
- City tagging allows a person or a service provider to tag places using a virtual place marker to describe a particular feature of places and link to descriptions available via the Internet. Tags can be public or private. Private tags are visible to a closed user group and sometimes they can be viewed only if the user is paying for a service or a single tag. Tags can be organized to outline a trail within a city – one where place markers are easily accessed and followed by users’ with access to smartphones or other mobile devices. Examples of the usage of the basic service are:
- Users of the service can follow a route that takes the customers to visit places tagged by content providers.
- Movies can include tags identifying the shooting locations within a city. Books can be augmented with tags and information related to places of relevance. Social media and social network information can be tagged and geolocalized.
- The tourism industry can tag particular areas of cities providing suggestions, as well as more information about places to visit. A single tourist can tag places that he deems important for his visit and then share them with friends or other users.
- Tourist guides (e.g., the Michelin Guide) can tag places, and on request, subscribers can be steered towards a chosen restaurant or place to visit, perhaps with reservation assistance being provided.
- Tags can also have a social value. For example, friends can share their suggestions regarding interesting things or people with like interests can tag bars, clubs and other entertainment places.
- Download PDF